25 January 2011 by Stuart Cam
So, this is the first update on this blog for quite a while and you are about to find out why it's been so quiet around here.
I have been very busy working on a new start up with my business partner, Valere Speranza. If you have ever founded a start up you can appreciate just how much time they consume - all of it. It gives me great pleasure to announce Lead Magpie!
Check out the site at http://www.leadmagpie.com to learn more.
25 May 2010 by Stuart Cam
During my 8 or so years contracting I've been fortunate enough to work with a variety of different companies, from the cautious and slow-moving banks through to dynamic and fast-paced digital agencies.
Throughout my journey I've been lucky to meet and work with some truly brilliant people, great designers, developers and managers. I've also come across my fair share of 'others':
- The others aren't interested in learning.
- The others carry grandiose titles like 'Senior Software Architect' simply for being in the company for 10+ years.
- The others repeat the same mistakes over and over again.
- The others use seniority to quash innovation and perceived threats from the lower ranks.
- The others view new ideas and technologies with scepticism.
- The others view the 'hired help' with suspicion and contempt.
- The others treat their job as entitlement.
- The others clock-in and clock-out.
- The others play political games to compensate for poor performance.
I'm sure you know who the others are in your workplace.
The message for this blog post is to encourage you to be the best you can be; don't settle for being an 'other'.
Personal and professional development is the only true job security in this ever-changing world.
17 February 2010 by Stuart Cam
Contrary to what the predictive text suggests, the Scrum teams I have worked in have always been rather pleasant!
21 October 2009 by Stuart Cam
Don't delay, download your copy today! Get the lowdown from Scott Guthrie.